Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
20,692 Views 29 Replies Last post: Jul 27, 2009 3:51 PM by Seal RSS
  1 2 Previous Next
Level 0 51 posts since
Jun 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2009 9:58 AM

Costs too much to publish my book...HELP!

So, I really like how Createspace is set up, but the problem is that the average price for what my book will be is $7.99, but it would cost at least $10 to make the book on here.  Which means I would end up owing Createspace everytime they made a book instead of betting royalties on it.  Can someone help me? Is this common?

My book would be black and white and around 400-500 pages. I really want to self publish, but it looks like I would have to sell my book for at least $10 and I don't think anyone will want to buy a $10 book from an unknown author.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

Catherine B.

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
1. Jul 11, 2009 10:37 AM in response to: CatBanks
Re: Costs too much to publish my book...HELP!

I don't think much can be done as that's not bad but I think your price may be a little more than that. My 5.5x8.5" size edition is also B&W, it has 232 pages. My cost is $6.14. Retail on Amazon through Createspace is $11 with a .43 royalty.

You just have to play around to see if you can get page count down, which will save on price. Then you decide what the lowest you will accept in making a profit.

Createspace is actually one of the cheaper places to publish. Lulu's retail markup would be far more than what CS charges.

Level 4 1,394 posts since
Feb 25, 2009
3. Jul 11, 2009 11:18 AM in response to: CatBanks

I checked on Lulu, using their pricing thing and that size book for just making it would be $11.50 and that doubles with retail if you want an ISBN. You could go onto Amazon, use the advanced search, type Createspace in the publish choice and look at other books around the size you're making to see about price.

These types of books will never be able to sell for what Mass market books do.

Level 5 9,285 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
4. Jul 11, 2009 12:10 PM in response to: CatBanks

It sounds as if you're comparing your book to mass market offerings, whereas most financially successful self-published books tend to target a niche market.  As you've indicated, you really can't use print-on-demand (from CS or anyone else) to compete with offset-printed, mass-produced titles.  For print-on-demand to work in most instances, there has to be something about you, the subject matter, your approach to the content, etc. that is unique, and that makes a customer willing to pay more to buy/read it.  Good luck!

Level 0 6 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
5. Jul 13, 2009 12:17 PM in response to: CatBanks

I'm not sure I understand your cost of $10. Have you looked into the Pro Plan? I helped my wife publish her book and we only pay $6.34 per copy for author purchases. The book has a full color cover, b&w content and is 458 pages (it's 6x9 format). I also think if the content is good and if the cover is really good you CAN sell it for a good price. My wife is a totally unkown author and we sell our book for $16.95. We just started selling it about 5 weeks ago and have sold almost 100 copies. We've sold 4 copies through our CreateSpace estore, 4 on Amazon, and the rest face to face. We make a royalty of $7.22 through the estore and $3.83 through Amazon  Many have been purchased by friends and family but we've probably sold 15 - 20 to strangers. We've had a couple of people read it and then come back and buy multiple copies for gifts so they obviously feel the $16.95 was worth it.

In my opinion the key is having good content, a really good cover (I designed ours so I'm a little biased :-)) and a professional presentation (good business cards, etc.). My wife's name is Sarah Witenhafer and the book is a Romantic Thriller called Tamed. You can see it at www.readtamed.com or search for her name at Amazon to view the cover and first chapter, etc. You can contact her directly at ***** if you like.

Hope that helps.

Message was edited by: CreateSpace Community Moderators

Level 2 178 posts since
Jun 16, 2009
6. Jul 11, 2009 12:47 PM in response to: CatBanks

I dont think you should think on the lines of being an unknown author. Instead think more about the book. Is it well written? Is the subject one that people will gravitate towards? If it were written by "Place the name of famous author here", would it sell? If you answer yes to these important questions, then dont worry about being unknown. Focus on becoming known. get your name out there. Post all over the web. Talk to the owners of any small bookstores in your area. get contact information on regional managers of the big chain bookstores in your area. YOU must promote your own work. Through my website, I have almost 1000 pending orders for my first book (I still have not aproved the proof).

Thanks to my dedication to promoting this book, I have attracted the attention of some of the traditional publishers (Scared to name them just yet). They have requested the manuscript. One has actually requested that I postpone self publishing till they review the manuscript. I informed them that I was not willing to wait six months to get turned down.

I dont want to sound like I'm bragging (But I am proud). I just want to drive home the promotional aspects an unkown author needs to take advantage of. Ishtaria: Prince of Blades, is the very first book I will publish. It is book one in a nine to twelve book series. It falls into the fantasy genre wich gives me a specific target audiance. even though it is not yet out, if you google "Ishtaria" it is now the first listing. (And yes there are more Ishtaria related things on the internet than you would think)

So dont get down on being unkown. Make yourself known instead. Publish the book for a profit. You must have the confidence that your work is worth paying for, or nobody will want to pay for it.

Hope this helps at least a little. Please visit www.ishtaria.com or Http://ishtaria.com

Level 0 6 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
9. Jul 11, 2009 7:49 PM in response to: CatBanks

Yes, it's $39 per title. You pay that once and then your cost per book goes way down. With that you should be able to get the cost below $7. I would tell you though, don't short change yourself on the price! It seems like you are worrying too much about being "unknown". That may be true but in the self publish world I think it's more about the story and about your personal presentation. When you meet someone, can you convince them to buy the book. The "known" author is not going to meet most of his or her customers. At least at first you are going to meet them. So, you have a chance to tell them about the story and why they should buy. THIS IS A HUGE ADVANTAGE FOR YOU. On top of that they are getting to actually meet the author. That's a big deal to people even if you're not known because in the back of their mind they are thinking this could be the next Tom Clancy or whomever and I will have met him (or her). Finally, you personally sign every copy you can. Again, people see value there. In their minds they "know" that a signed copy is valuable. Because of all these reasons, you can actually get MORE than the known author, at least at first. You need to be convinced in your own mind that your book is worth it and YOU are worth it. I, personally, would not make less than $4 - $5 per book. We are making almost $10 on ours.

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
11. Jul 12, 2009 1:40 PM in response to: CatBanks

Get a website then try to get that listed, I would then send printed postcards or flyers to local papers, radio and TV stations. Once people see or hear or read about you then you stop becoming an Unknow Author. I have just started my website, it still needs work but here is the address: http://www.alexanderwilliamshaw.com

I also have the .com address for the title of my first two novels and the hero's name, just in case it takes off.

Level 5 2,821 posts since
May 5, 2009
13. Jul 12, 2009 3:17 PM in response to: CatBanks

Happy to help

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...